Sunday, September 19, 2010

To craft writers...

Crafting Writers was an exciting book for me to read. As I read each chapter I could almost smell the dry erase board markers as I saw myself in front of my future classroom of eagerly smiling students, teaching them about variations of words and zooming in on details (I also noted many techniques I could use in my own writing). I already know that I can teach, but I came back to school to acquire tools so I could do it very well. I appreciate specific, clear, and detailed instruction, as this book provides. I love the way this book lays out exactly how to teach these writing techniques to your students. Before I was half way done with the readings, I had the opportunity to use the teaching tactics described. My boyfriend is afraid of commas. I, on the other hand, LOVE them. They regulate the flow of my writing. They help my writing to have voice, by giving my readers a way of hearing my words the way I hear them. I have tried to encourage my boyfriend to use commas, by saying "Use commas, make friends with commas, commas are good". And though my instructions were clear and straight to the point, they had no effect. I am convinced that at some point in his youth, when he was most vulnerable and impressionable, a glowering, and looming teacher with a severe hairdo, told him "Do not use so may commas!" Using the the advice in the book I was able to explain to him, the next time it came up, all of the reasons I use commas in my writing. By explaining "why it is good" I imagine that it will make more sense to him. Then, after reading the section on commas, my understanding of commas improved, giving me more way to explain "why it is good".

Perhaps it is just the kind of person I am, but what I really wanted more of in the book was results. All of these ideas for teaching writing are excellent, and my logic tells me that they will be helpful to students. But the most important part of teaching writing is the improvement of the student's writing. I assume that this woman is writing this book, not only because she had all of these great ideas, but because she has seen them work with students. I am looking forward to teaching writing, because it is such a valuable skill. The information from this book gives me confidence and excitement about going into a language arts lesson, of any age group.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your post. I hope you get a chance to see more comma usage in your boyfriend's writings! I too was thinking of results in regards to using these techniques. I can only assume, as the author has suggested, that as our students understand the why of using such strategies, they will connect with them and reach out to use the ones that make the most sense to them. After seeing more and more of these techniques in their writing, we can then assess if we are indeed seeing results. It's exciting to think that we will be helping our students to better express their voice in writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also agree with you about wanting to see results. like with any other education book, much is easier said than done. i did tab quite a few pages of what i've read so far because Hale's book is resourceful as you've pointed out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strunk's- Element's of Style, is the go to resource of many writers when developing their own craft. As a teacher, I liked how Hale was able to break down the concepts into a presentable and age appropriate method for an elementary classroom.

    Like your boyfriend, I have had a string of English teachers mark away my commas with their red pens and narrow minds. Good luck helping him break the habit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the way this post is composed! It is obvious how the different "craft lessons" make a piece of literature much more exciting to read.
    I love that you love commas! I just recently became comfortable with their usage. Through working with third and fourth graders last year, I received a refresher course and realized I didn't need to fear them. I remember in my high school composition class, I would use them wayyyyyy too much. I never knew exactly where to use them and I became afraid of them. I think I just needed to be reminded where they belong and how important they are to writing to become comfortable with them. Hopefully your boyfriend will learn to appreciate them in time!

    ReplyDelete