Thursday, September 30, 2010

Ready to Start with Writing Workshops

As I finish reading Hale's, Crafting Writers, I feel excited to try it. My impression of the classroom I'll be in, one day per week, is that it is a flexible environment and I anticipate the chance to do some conferencing with the students. I have not yet experienced the language arts part of the student's day, but I am hoping they are writing regularly and I will have some materiel to work with. I am planning to ask for the opportunity to teach a craft lesson to a group of students. This is something I certainly feel like I need to practice. When we did it in class I thought it would be easy. We have so many resources that are specific and explicit about how to teach writing, that I was surprised when I stumbled in our class practice. I am excited to try it with young children to get an idea of what they respond to, and how I can affect their writing. I am also hoping to do a few writing conferences. There seem to be many detail to remember when conferencing, and i would like to remember them all. As far as I can remember the main points are:


Read the piece of work and find what is good.
Then find something that will help to improve the writing immediately
Have the student repeat both back to you
Have the student try it
Record what was done
Check what the student has done with the mini lesson.
Let me know if I am missing something!

Another point of instruction that I really appreciate in this section, is the recommendation about teaching the first day of writing workshop. This is a topic that has often come up with classmates and teachers; the importance of the first day of instruction. Hale mentions exactly what she does on the first day which might not be obvious. She practices, and explains carefully, her expectations for transitions. When we walk into a classroom to observe, and see children moving quietly and efficiently from one activity to another, we know that did not happen by accident. I appreciate the instructions on how to set this up, and the assurance that it is a worthwhile use of class time to teach the students how to follow instructions.




5 comments:

  1. I too am very excited about trying out writers workshops. Hale does a great job at laying everything out in a manageable way. I know I feel a lot more comfortable teaching a writers workshop knowing that Hale is on my bookshelf keeping me honest, on task and positive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that I enjoyed reading about Hale's first day of writer's workshop. I think every new teacher has some anxiety about their first day of doing anything and wanting to set the right tone for that activity so it was encouraging to read her how-to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think that being reassured that it is okay if our lessons don't go perfectly as planned the first time in important. It is just a friendly reminder that we are not expected to be perfect just because we are teachers, but we are expected to persist and continually evolve our methods in a more positive and effective manner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking so forward to trying writer's workshop as well. And I think you highlighted a significant point, Molly. If procedures and expectations for the workshop are not laid out on the first day, it has the potential to flop. We've heard from multiple exceptional teachers that all emphasized the importance of taking the time at the beginning to set up procedures and expectations in all areas of the classroom, and I think this is definitely something worth taking the time to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking forward to watching the two lead teachers conference and you! I am anxious to see the process in action and understand what direct to take certain students. See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete