Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Community - in action

   Sections of the street were closed off to traffic and many small tents were set up along the edge of the road. The art fair is a small town event that draws metropolitan talent. People come from all over to present their art work to the people of the city and the people respond. People of all ages and backgrounds crowded 4th street to see what the artists had to offer. People who were young and old smiling and relaxed walked and danced through the street, pushing their strollers and leading their dogs. A beautiful day and pleasant music provided a backdrop for the enjoyment of many downtown. 
   As I tried to observe and record this event, I was overwhelmed by the crowd and flury of activity. As I focused in, I noticed people reaching out their hands to appreciate hand-made furniture, leaning forward to smell the savory Thai food dishes, and crouching down to get a closer look at jewelry that shone in the sunlight. I realized that this was not an experience to quantify, but rather to appreciate with all of the senses.  I focused on what I heard and noticed words of encouragement, pride and praise. The gentle and patient tones were that of adults working with children in the crafts tent. Around the corner just steps away I heard words that I imagined those children would not understand, such as glaze and dream-scape. Only an artist or someone familiar with art would understand these terms. This was an unusual environment where artistic language is common in casual conversations. I also heard many people say "this is nice", and "I really like that".  When I looked for people using literacy, I noticed people handing out fliers and pamphlets that resented a cause or promoted an event, but very little literature that was necessary to the experience. The signs were not very informative, and maps and guides were not readily available.The atmosphere there was one of relaxed enjoyment, where people are not in a hurry, and don't have an agenda. People seem to appreciate that warm beautiful days are numbered. And that standing in the middle of the street laughing and talking is the most important thing to be done in the moment. And rather than relying on literary markers, in this environment you can get all of the information you need by opening yourself up to a sensory experience.

5 comments:

  1. I wish I had gone to the fair, as another post had mentioned how it was so engaging to all the senses. It is interesting how you mentioned that " words of encouragement, pride and praise" seemed to be notably present. I wonder if that is common to art fairs in general or if that is particular to the one you attended (I imagine there may be some places where critique may be more common... though, it's hard to see why one would want attend, in that case!).

    Also, your post painted a warm picture of the day. I felt you crafted the story of the day well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful word picture of the fair! As a writer, we can see how you've done this but capturing the sights, sounds, smells, and actions here. Your post makes me wonder how we know someone is an artist or a customer or a browser by the language or literacy they use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, after reading what you just wrote, it brought me back to last Saturday when we went to the fair for our project. That was a wonderful synopsis of our experience. The arts fair really was all about the "sensory experience" and not so much about reading and/or writing. That's the thing about the arts (especially music)---it's another language, making the need for written and spoken "English" obsolete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting Molly! I loved how you incorporated the food using smell. After our group finished on Saturday, I was so captivated by the smell of food I ate on 4th street to satisfy my hunger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Molly Rose,
    Somehow I connect with your statement, "The gentle and patient tones were that of adults working with children in the crafts tent."
    You know this is the first year that I was not completely overwhelmed by the fair. Usually that amount of people with so many different stimuli overwhelms me! Maybe because I was trying to be an observer and sort of outside of the experience instead of a contributer to the experience put a different spin on the event to me.Anyway it is the first time that I have enjoyed the fair this much.

    ReplyDelete