Sunday, October 31, 2010

Using Artistic E xpression in Multi Genre Research Papers

After reading about poetry and non-fiction genres, I had decided what genre pieces to make. I had begun them with utter confidence in my choices. While reading chapters 5 and 7 (particularly chapter 7) of Hale, new ideas began swirling around in my head. Is I read about the different ideas I could see myself doing them. I picture making a video, and artistic renderings that would capture the sentiment of my topic. I thought about writing a short story which had not occurred to me as an idea before. Now I am reconsidering all of my options, and some of them, I am even looking forward to trying.

I loved reading Seedfolks. It is such a sweet heart warming story. As I finished the book I felt compelled to run out and find an empty lot in an inner city, that I could use to grow food and communities. I realize this was not the point of reading this book for our class. I get that we are considering characterization, and this book does it beautifully. Even though you may not know any one character as well as you would if there were one main character who told the whole story, you do get a feel of who all the different people are. This method of telling a story in some ways has the ability to go much deeper than a traditionally told story. With multiple perspectives you can see prejudices as the misunderstandings that they are. It is a sweet story, and even though I haven't figure out how it can be useful for my multi genre research paper, I still want to start an inner city garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment