Monday, October 18, 2010

MGRP ADHD

       I chose to work on the multi genre research paper with a classmate. I was struggling to solidify my topic when I heard a very similar, much more clear topic from a classmate. We both were interested in studying ADHD, but her thoughts about it were focused on adjusting teacher thinking about it in order to accommodate the student. My focus had been to find the cause and figure out how to prevent it. After a little bit of research I realized that my idea for a topic was not a realistic one. I was very happy to focus on what I as a teacher can do to make ADHD less of a problem for individuals and class groups as a whole.
     Because of the nature of working with a partner, we needed to set deadlines and meet to discuss topics. We also had to carefully organize the paper. Because of the organization and planning, I found it much easier to do the paper. I was able to focus my research to look at each aspect of the topic individually and systematically.
     The best part of researching my topic was the way it helped to to see students differently. About half way through the paper and research, I went to a high school to substitute teach. In that classroom I immediately noticed some students who were exhibiting ADHD like behaviors including, speaking out, moving around, and refusal to do the work. For the first time in my life I looked at one student in particular and just felt bad for him. Even though he was "being difficult" I could see that the worksheets and copy-out-of-the-book exercises could not possibly be holding his attention. The truth is that none of the students seemed to be learning anything from it, but the "good students" were the ones who just sat quietly and did their "busy work." I think it is not right to ask any student to do that kind of passive work, much less a student who struggles to stay focused. Why would he be interested in working that hard for work that is so meaningless? I was grateful for the new perceptions I have gained by researching this topic.

1 comment:

  1. Molly, I think what you will find is that things that help your ADHD students (and your ENL students and your special ed students) are usually of benefit to the whole class. It's a win-win for everyone when you recognize that your students need something different than what they usually get, I think.

    ReplyDelete